FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Date: April 23, 2013
Contact: Tracy LeClair
OPERATION THREE STRIKES: SUMMIT COUNTY EMERGENCY PREPAREDNESS EXERCISE
SUMMIT COUNTY, COLORADO – The Summit County Sheriff’s Office and Lake Dillon Fire-Rescue will be participating in a full-scale emergency preparedness/response exercise on Tuesday, April 30, and Wednesday, May 1. Participating agencies will be exercising their ability to respond to a mock scenario revolving around a number of wildfires which spread due to high winds. The Sheriff’s Office in particular will be testing plans for evacuation and public information.
More than 100 local emergency responders will participate in the exercise, which will feature both full-scale and functional exercises over several operational periods, including one evening of operations. Part of the evening operations will be a Community Open House at Summit Middle School from 5 – 8:30 p.m. on April 30, where information on wildfire readiness programs will be available. Members of the public will also have the opportunity to participate in a simulated community meeting regarding wildfire operations and evacuations. Uniformed personnel will also go door-to-door notifying residents in the Ruby Ranch, Willowbrook Highlands and Ptarmigan Ranch subdivisions about evacuation procedures during the day on April 30.
This exercise was designed to test real-time emergency response and coordination between multiple agencies. An emphasis will be placed on evacuation, public warning and public information, resource ordering and incident management. Communications protocols and fatality management coordination between participating agencies and an evacuation of medical facilities will also be tested.
Exercise participants include:
- · U.S. Forest Service
- · Lake Dillon Fire-Rescue, Red White and Blue Fire District, Copper Mountain Fire Dept.
- · Summit County Communication Center
- · Summit County Sheriff’s Office
- · The Towns of Breckenridge, Dillon, Frisco and Silverthorne
- · Summit School District
- · American Red Cross
- · Salvation Army
- · Summit County Ambulance
- · Summit County Public Health, Summit County Department of Social Services
- · Summit County Animal Control and Shelter
- · Summit County Coroner
- · St. Anthony Summit Medical Center, Peak One Surgery Center
- · Northwest Incident Management Team, Upper Colorado River Interagency Fire Management Unit
- · State of Colorado Office of Emergency Management